- SOUTH AFRICA
- BENIN – OAIP
- BURKINA FASO – OAPI
- CAMEROON – OAPI
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – OAPI
- CHAD – OAPI
- CONGO REPUBLIC – OAPI
- EQUATORIAL GUINEA – OAPI
- GABON – OAPI
- GUINEA – OAPI
- GUINEA BISSAU – OAPI
- IVORY COAST – OAPI
- MALI – OAPI
- MAURITANIA – OAPI
- NIGER – OAPI
- SENEGAL – OAPI
- TOGO – OAPI
- BOTSWANA – ARIPO
- ESWATINI – ARIPO
- GAMBIA- ARIPO
- GHANA – ARIPO
- KENYA – ARIPO
- LESOTHO – ARIPO
- LIBERIA – ARIPO
- MALAWI – ARIPO
- MOZAMBIQUE – ARIPO
- NAMIBIA – ARIPO
- RWANDA – ARIPO
- SIERRA LEONE – ARIPO
- SUDAN – ARIPO
- TANZANIA – ARIPO
- UGANDA – ARIPO
- ZAMBIA – ARIPO
- ZIMBABWE – ARIPO
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
COUNTRY : UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
CAPITAL : ABU DHABI
LANGUAGE : ARABIC
Patents & Design if United Arab Emirates is granted by Department of Industrial Property Ministry of Economy.
International Treaties to which United Arab Emirates is signatory for the protection of Industrial Designs.
- Paris Convention for the protection of industrial property.
- Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights –TRIPS.
Following can file Design Applications:
a). Author of the Design
b). Employer of the author if Design made during course of employment
c). Person contracting the author to make the design
d). Person to whom the author has assigned the design in writing.
Two or more persons owning interests in the design must apply jointly.
- Copy of the drawings;( six views such as front, rear, left side, right side, top plan and bottom plan views. And additional drawings such as perspective and cross-sectional views also may be submitted) – photographs in jpg format
- The full name and address of each creator;
- The full name and address of each applicant;
- The name of article to which the design is applied;
- The filing date, application number and country of the priority application; and
- The priority document
- Statement of Novelty in respect of the articles to which industrial design is applied to. However, not required while registering wallpaper, lace or textile articles.
- Full payment of fees.
- A Power of Attorney, duly legalized up to the U.A.E. Consulate.
- A Deed of Assignment from the designer duly legalized up to the U.A.E Consulate.
- An Extract from applicant’s, entry on Commercial Register, if applicant is a corporate body, also legalized up to the U.A.E. Consulate.
- A certified copy of the priority document in case of claiming priority.
- Four representations of the design 6. A brief description of the design
Statement of Novelty: Novelty refers to originality, something new or unusual. In this context, if the IP Office so deems necessary, may direct the applicant to endorse the application and the representations with a brief statement of novelty that he claims over the designs so submitted for registration.
Prior Disclosure destroys novelty of the Design so extreme care has to be taken to maintain secrecy of the Design. However, in the United Arab Emirates, applicant can file the application within 12 months after disclosure which will still retain novelty.
Translation of any document will be calculated at the rate of US$55.00 per page.
To come under the scope of registration, a Design should:
- Be new and / or original
- Not have been disclosed to the public anywhere by publication in tangible form or by use in any other way prior to the filing date or where applicable, the priority date of the application for registration to which a 12 month exception is provided.
- Be significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs.
- Not contain scandalous or obscene matter, or be contrary to public order or morality.
- Not be a mere mechanical contrivance.
- Be applicable to an article, should appeal to the eye.
- Industrial Drawing must be usable as an industrial / handicraft product.Original here means, originating from the author of such a design and includes those cases which though old in themselves , are new in their application as well.
Aspects of Designs registrable:
- 2 Dimensional, 3 Dimensional, general appearance of a design.
- Contours, Colours, Shapes and Textures
- Material out of which the design is made
- Decoration of the design
- Packaging, Graphic Symbols, Typographic Typefaces
- A drawing or a model contrary to public order or morality.
- A drawing or a model that relates to a computer program.
- A drawing or a model whose characteristics are solely dictated by technical function of the product to which it relates.
- A product that needs to be combined with another product, so that each can perform its function.
- Designs which have been disclosed to the public anywhere in the world by publication in a tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date is not allowed.
- Designs which are not significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs or
- Comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter.
ParityPatents through it’s associate Law Firms in United Arab Emirates (UAE), is at hand to help you with Industrial Design registration and prosecution.
Steps to Registration:
- Finding out whether such a design has been registered previously.
- Preparing a representation of the design.
- Identifying the class of design.
- Providing a statement of novelty.
- Including a disclaimer that the design has not been in the public domain at any point in time.
- Claiming a priority date if the design Is registered in other countries.
- Determining the fee to be paid.
- Ensuring all enclosures are attached.
- Complying with objections if any.
- Providing full details pertaining to contacts and addresses.
Several designs (20 per application) may be combined in one multiple application as long as the products belong to the same class.
ParityPatent along with specialised Industrial Design Lawyers and attorneys in United Arab Emirates (UAE) can assist you comprehensively with registration and protection of new Industrial Designs.
Upon receipt of the design application, it is numbered and dated and is given a formalities examination. Thereafter a deed of protection shall be issued to the industrial drawing/design.
Upon completion of the formalities examination the design is published in the Intellectual Property Circular.
Post publication, interested 3rd parties may oppose the registration of the design within 60 days from the date of publication.
In the event there are no oppositions, the design is Registered and a Certificate of Registration issued.
An ordinary application does not claim priority.
Convention application calming priority .
A convention application claims priority of an application filed previously in a convention country. (Deadline for claiming priority for a design application in United Arab Emirates is 3 months from the filing date of the priority application)
Protection to the design is provided for 10 yrs.
Renewals & Maintenance: Renewals have to be requested during the final 6 months of the registration validity period.
Our attorneys will assist you with renewals and maintenance of industrial design in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
WHY PROTECT DESIGNS IN UNITED ARAB EMIRATES ? Patent law deals in ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a company or organization as it deals with inventions that are not easily accessible by the general public. Designs along with Trademarks on the other hand, are the ‘visual medium’ which aid in brand projection, recognition, association and retention by existing and potential customers. To prevent rivals from copying industrial designs, it is therefore an important and strategic aspect in the protection of intellectual property rights. Therefore, as with all IP, it is better to begin protection of designs at the earliest before disclosure with the general public.
BENEFITS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION IN UNITED ARAB EMIRATES : Certain countries that follow cumulative protection of Industrial Designs by Copyright as well as Design laws have the ‘Unity of Art’ principle that needs to be followed meaning, entitlement to copyright for applied and other art work shall be determined through the same criteria.
In today’s highly impulse driven and temperament market, industrial designs provide the requisite edge to push products into consumers’ psyche. Such is he craving for fashionable and well crafted products that looks can often be equally or more important that the products’ functionality itself.
Registration of Industrial Design Rights becomes a valuable asset which gives the following benefits:
- A substantial return on interest (ROI) as the popularity of the product is directly proportional to its reproduction and counterfeiting thus enabling swift legal action in preventing copycats and frauds thereby ensuring that the design is not diluted.
- Infringement of designs can help owners obtain damages and recover costs for the same.
- Registration of designs can help owners work on bettering their designs through Research and Development (R&D) on bringing out superior industrial designs thus making it harder to knock off or scale up manufacturing by infringers in order to copy the original designs.
- Registered designs can be sold, licensed, franchised which can all earn royalty. The same can also be used as a collateral to secure loans.
- Industrial Designs complement even strengthen Trademarks hence making brand attention, brand association and retention, brand recall and usage much easier and interesting.
Please write a mail for the cost of registration of Industrial Designs Protection in the United Arab Emirates to the mail address given below: