- SOUTH AFRICA
- BENIN – OAIP
- BURKINA FASO – OAPI
- CAMEROON – OAPI
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – OAPI
- CHAD – OAPI
- CONGO REPUBLIC – OAPI
- EQUATORIAL GUINEA – OAPI
- GABON – OAPI
- GUINEA – OAPI
- GUINEA BISSAU – OAPI
- IVORY COAST – OAPI
- MALI – OAPI
- MAURITANIA – OAPI
- NIGER – OAPI
- SENEGAL – OAPI
- TOGO – OAPI
- BOTSWANA – ARIPO
- ESWATINI – ARIPO
- GAMBIA- ARIPO
- GHANA – ARIPO
- KENYA – ARIPO
- LESOTHO – ARIPO
- LIBERIA – ARIPO
- MALAWI – ARIPO
- MOZAMBIQUE – ARIPO
- NAMIBIA – ARIPO
- RWANDA – ARIPO
- SIERRA LEONE – ARIPO
- SUDAN – ARIPO
- TANZANIA – ARIPO
- UGANDA – ARIPO
- ZAMBIA – ARIPO
- ZIMBABWE – ARIPO
COUNTRY : KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN
CAPITAL : MANAMA
LANGUAGE : ARABIC
Patents & Design in Bahrain is granted by Industrial Property Directorate Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Tourism.
International Treaties to which Bahrain is signatory for the protection of Industrial Designs.
- Paris Convention for the protection of industrial property.
- Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights –TRIPS.
Please refer the treaties.
- Author of the Design.
- Employer of the author if Design made during course of employment
- Person contracting the author to make the design
- Person to whom the author has assigned the design in writing.
- Any natural / legal person in compliance with the laws of Bahrain.
- The country’s citizens.
- Any foreigner affiliated to a member of the Paris Convention.
- Any person treating the Kingdom of Bahrain in a reciprocal manner to that person’s own country.
- If the applicant possesses a real and effective industrial or commercial entity in the territory of that member country.
- Two or more persons owning interests in the design must apply jointly.
- Copy of the drawings;( six views such as front, rear, left side, right side, top plan and bottom plan views. And additional drawings such as perspective and cross-sectional views also may be submitted) – photographs in jpg format
- The full name and address of each creator;
- The full name and address of each applicant;
- The name of article to which the design is applied;
- The filing date, application number and country of the priority application; and
- The priority document, to be submitted within three months.
- Statement of Novelty in respect of the articles to which industrial design is applied to. However, not required while registering wallpaper, lace or textile articles.
- Full payment of fees.
- A Power of Attorney, duly legalized up to the Bahraini Consulate.
- A Deed of Assignment from the designer, duly legalized up to the Bahraini Consulate.
- An Extract from applicant’s entry on the Commercial Register, also legalized up to the Bahraini Consulate.
- A certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed.
- Three representations of the design.
- A brief description of the designStatement of Novelty:
Novelty refers to originality, something new or unusual. In this context, if the Controller General so deems necessary, may direct the applicant to endorse the application and the representations with a brief statement of novelty that he claims over the designs so submitted for registration.Prior Disclosure destroys novelty of the Design so extreme care has to be taken to maintain secrecy of the Design. However, in Bahrain, applicant can file the application within 6 months after disclosure which will still retain novelty.
To come under the scope of registration, a Design should:
- Be new and / or original
- Not have been disclosed to the public anywhere by publication in tangible form or by use in any other way prior to the filing date or where applicable, the priority date of the application for registration to which a 6 month exception is provided.
- Be significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs.
- Not contain scandalous or obscene matter, or be contrary to public order or morality.
- Not be a mere mechanical contrivance.
- Be applicable to an article, should appeal to the eye.Original here means, originating from the author of such a design and includes those cases which though old in themselves , are new in their application as well.Aspects of Designs registrable:Any arrangement of lines and colours, coloured, non coloured aspects of the design.Two Dimensional, Three Dimensional, general appearance of a design. Contours, Colours, Shapes and TexturesDecoration of the designSuch Design which is usable in the intended industry or handicrafts and if distinctively appears as an industrial or craftwork product.
- A drawing or a model contrary to public order or morality.
- A drawing or a model that relates to a computer program.
- A drawing or a model whose characteristics are solely dictated by technical function of the product to which it relates.
- A product that needs to be combined with another product, so that each can perform its function.
- Designs which have been disclosed to the public anywhere in the world by publication in a tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date. However, a 12 months exception is given to this rule.
- Designs which are not significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs or
- Comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter.
ParityPatents through it’s associate Law Firms in Bahrain, is at hand to help you with Industrial design registration and prosecution.
- Finding out whether such a design has been registered previously.
- Preparing a representation of the design
- Identifying the class of design.
- Providing a statement of novelty.
- Including a disclaimer that the design has not been in the public domain at any point in time.
- Claiming a priority date if the design Is registered in other countries.
- Determining the fee to be paid.
- Ensuring all enclosures are attached. Application may include no more
- Complying with objections if any.
- Providing full details pertaining to contacts and addresses.
Several designs may be combined in one multiple application as long as the products belong to the same class but no more than 50 drawings or models.
ParityPatent along with specialised Industrial Design Lawyers and attorneys in Bahrain can assist you comprehensively with registration and protection of
Upon receipt of the design application, it is numbered and dated and is given a formalities examination.
Upon completion of the formalities examination the design is published in the Bulletin.
In the event there are no oppositions, the design is Registered and a Certificate of Registration issued.
Upon completion of the formalities examination the design is published in the Bulletin.
Post publication, interested 3rd parties may oppose the registration of the design within 30 days from the date of publication.
An ordinary application does not claim priority.
Convention application calming priority .
A convention application claims priority of an application filed previously in a convention country.
(Deadline for claiming priority for a design application in Bahrain is 6 months from the filing date of the priority application)
Rights of ownership of registration to be granted to:
- Inventor or the one who has acquired the rights thereof.
- Invention resultant of a joint effort of a number of persons, ownership to be equally assigned to them unless otherwise decided / agreed.
- Mere implementation of the invention as a participant shall not entitle such person to the rights herein.
- More than one applicant each independently involved from each other of the invention, right shall be given to the first one to apply.
- Ownership of the industrial drawing / model to be assigned to the employer if invention resultant of work contract or part of such aspects of terms of employment.
- A worker during and by virtue of the employment contract if creates an industrial drawing or model shall notify the employer of the same. Employer may then within a period of 3 months therein either chose to exploit the industrial design or purchase the same for a fair remuneration.
Protection to the design is provided for 15 yrs.
Renewals & Maintenance:
Renewals have to be requested during the final 6 months of the registration validity period.
Our attorneys will assist you with renewals and maintenance.
WHY PROTECT DESIGNS IN BAHRAIN ? Patent law deals in ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a company or organization as it deals with inventions that are not easily accessible by the general public. Designs along with Trademarks on the other hand, are the ‘visual medium’ which aid in brand projection, recognition, association and retention by existing and potential customers. To prevent rivals from copying industrial designs, it is therefore an important and strategic aspect in the protection of intellectual property rights. Hence, as with all IP, it is better to begin protection of designs at the earliest before disclosure with the general public.
BENEFITS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION IN BAHRAIN :
In today’s highly impulse driven and temperament market, industrial designs provide the requisite edge to push products into consumers’ psyche. Such is the craving for fashionable and well crafted products that looks can often be equally or more important that the products’ functionality itself.
Registration of Industrial Design Rights becomes a valuable asset which gives the following benefits:
- A substantial return on interest (ROI) as the popularity of the product is directly proportional to its reproduction and counterfeiting thus enabling swift legal action in preventing copycats and frauds thereby ensuring that the design is not diluted.
- Infringement of designs can help owners obtain damages and recover costs for the same.
- Registration of designs can help owners work on bettering their designs through Research and Development (R&D) on bringing out superior industrial designs thus making it harder to knock off or scale up manufacturing by infringers in order to copy the original designs.
- Registered designs can be sold, licensed, franchised which can all earn royalty. The same can also be used as a collateral to secure loans.
- Industrial Designs complement, even strengthen Trademarks hence making brand attention, brand association and retention, brand recall and usage much easier and interesting.
Please write a mail for cost of registration of Industrial Designs Protection in Bahrain to the mail address given below: