COUNTRY : JAPAN
CAPITAL : TOKYO
LANGUAGE : JAPANESE
Japanese Intellectual Property Office is known as the JPO- Japanese Patent Office.
International Treaties to which Japan is signatory for the protection of Industrial Designs.
- Paris Convention for the protection of industrial property.
- Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights –TRIPS.
- Hague Convention for the protection of Industrial Designs.
- Locarno Agreement for the classification of Industrial Designs.
PROTECTION OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS IN JAPAN:
- NATIONAL REGISTRATIONS : Only for the territory of Japan.
- INTERNATIONAL REGISTRATIONS : Through Hague System Protocol.
Please refer our Treaties section on International Protection for Industrial Designs under Hague Convention.
Therefore, to obtain Registration of Industrial Designs in Japan, there are two options from which the applicant can choose.