- SOUTH AFRICA
- BENIN – OAIP
- BURKINA FASO – OAPI
- CAMEROON – OAPI
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – OAPI
- CHAD – OAPI
- CONGO REPUBLIC – OAPI
- EQUATORIAL GUINEA – OAPI
- GABON – OAPI
- GUINEA – OAPI
- GUINEA BISSAU – OAPI
- IVORY COAST – OAPI
- MALI – OAPI
- MAURITANIA – OAPI
- NIGER – OAPI
- SENEGAL – OAPI
- TOGO – OAPI
- BOTSWANA – ARIPO
- ESWATINI – ARIPO
- GAMBIA- ARIPO
- GHANA – ARIPO
- KENYA – ARIPO
- LESOTHO – ARIPO
- LIBERIA – ARIPO
- MALAWI – ARIPO
- MOZAMBIQUE – ARIPO
- NAMIBIA – ARIPO
- RWANDA – ARIPO
- SIERRA LEONE – ARIPO
- SUDAN – ARIPO
- TANZANIA – ARIPO
- UGANDA – ARIPO
- ZAMBIA – ARIPO
- ZIMBABWE – ARIPO
COUNTRY : KINGDOM OF SWEDEN
CAPITAL : STOCKHOLM
LANGUAGE : SWEDISH
Patents & Design in Sweden is managed by The Swedish Patent and Registraion Office
International Treaties to which Sweden is signatory for the protection of Industrial Designs..
- Paris Convention for the protection of industrial property.
- Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights –TRIPS.
- European Union Community Designs (RCD & UCD)
- Locarno Agreement for the classification of Industrial Designs.
PROTECTION OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS IN SWEDEN:
- NATIONAL REGISTRATION
Direct Filing with National Patent & Trademark office
- EUROPEAN UNION COMMUNITY DESIGNS
Kindly refer Treaties for the Community Designs Registration.
Please refer our Treaties section on International Protection for Industrial Designs under Hague Convention.
Therefore, to obtain Registration of Industrial Designs in Sweden, there are two options from which the applicant can choose.
APPLICANTS WHO MAY APPLY FOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGN PROTECTION
Following can file Design Applications:
a). Author of the Design
b). Employer of the author if Design made during course of employment
c). Person contracting the author to make the design
d). Person to whom the author has assigned the design in writing.
Two or more persons owning interests in the design must apply jointly.
REQUISITES FOR FILING INDUSTRIAL DESIGN APPLICATIONS
- Copy of the drawings;( six views such as front, rear, left side, right side, top plan and bottom plan views. And additional drawings such as perspective and cross-sectional views also may be submitted) – photographs in jpg format
- The full name and address of each creator;
- The full name and address of each applicant;
- The name of article to which the design is applied;
- The filing date, application number and country of the priority application; and
- The priority document
- Statement of Novelty in respect of the articles to which industrial design is applied to. However, not required while registering wallpaper, lace or textile articles.
- Full payment of fees.
Statement of Novelty: Novelty refers to originality, something new or unusual. In this context, if the Patent Office so deems necessary, may direct the applicant to endorse the application and the representations with a brief statement of novelty that he claims over the designs so submitted for registration.
Prior Disclosure destroys novelty of the Design so extreme care has to be taken to maintain secrecy of the Design. However, in Sweden, applicant can file the application within 12 months after disclosure which will still retain novelty.
KINDS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS REGISTRABLE
To come under the scope of registration, a Design should:
- Be new and / or original
- Not have been disclosed to the public anywhere by publication in tangible form or by use in any other way prior to the filing date or where applicable, the priority date of the application for registration to which a 12 month exception is provided.
- Be significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs.
- Not contain scandalous or obscene matter, or be contrary to public order or morality.
- Not be a mere mechanical contrivance.
- Be applicable to an article, should appeal to the eye.Original here means, originating from the author of such a design and includes those cases which though old in themselves , are new in their application as well.
Aspects of Designs registrable:
- Two Dimensional, Three Dimensional, general appearance of a design.
- Contours, Colours, Shapes and Textures
- Material out of which the design is made
- Decoration of the design
- Packaging, Graphic Symbols, Typographic Typefaces
Categories of Designs registrable:
– Graphic symbols
Note: Design rights could overlap with Copyright Law, Trademark Law by way of 3D marks, Figurative marks.
Our attorneys will assist you with choosing the right strategy.
KINDS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS NOT REGISTRABLE
- A drawing or a model contrary to public order or morality.
- A drawing or a model that relates to a computer program.
- A drawing or a model whose characteristics are solely dictated by technical function of the product to which it relates.
- A product that needs to be combined with another product, so that each can perform its function.
- Designs which have been disclosed to the public anywhere in the world by publication in a tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date. However, a 12 months exception is given to this rule.
- Designs disclosed in the European Economic Area.
- Designs which are not significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs or
- Comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter.
Designs that are primarily Literary or Artistic in character are not protected under the Designs Act as under:
- information or graphics which might reasonably regarded as scandalous material;
- anything that includes the word ‘Anzac’;
- coins or notes of a kind prohibited under the Coins Currency Act 1991;
- layout for an integrated circuit;
- the Olympic rings symbol, the Olympic motto (both in Latin ‘citius, altius, fortius’ and in English ‘faster, higher, stronger’); the torch and flames design proscribed under the Olympic Insignia Protection Act;
- a representation of Queen Elizabeth II or any member of the Royal Family; or
- certain coats of arms, armorial bearings, flags and emblems.
Our Attorney will assist you in search, filing and protection of the Design application in Sweden.
STEPS TO INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION
- Finding out whether such a design has been registered previously.
- Preparing a representation of the design
- Identifying the class of design.
- Providing a statement of novelty.
- Including a disclaimer that the design has not been in the public domain at any point in time.
- Claiming a priority date if the design Is registered in other countries.
- Determining the fee to be paid.
- Ensuring all enclosures are attached.
- Complying with objections if any.
- Providing full details pertaining to contacts and addresses.
Several designs may be combined in one multiple application as long as the products belong to the same class.
ParityPatent along with specialised Industrial Design Lawyers and Attorneys in Sweden can assist you comprehensively with registration and protection of new Industrial Designs.
EXAMINATION PROCESS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS
Upon receipt of the design application, it is numbered and dated and is given a formalities examination. Formality examinations are carried out regarding accuracy of the design application and ensuring that it does not contravene public order and morality and that official designations and insignia are not included.
Any defects to be remedied by the applicant within stipulated time.
Substantial examination regarding whether registration is valid for 15 yrs. or 25 yrs. is not done.
PUBLICATION AND REGISTRATION OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS
Once accepted for registration, the design registration is published certificate of registration issued.
After publication in the Design Gazette, any third-party can request a re-examination (administrative review) of the design. A re-examination can be filed during the entire lifetime of the design and can result in full or partial revocation of the design.
TYPES OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN APPLICATIONS SWEDEN
An ordinary application does not claim priority.
Convention application calming priority.
A convention application claims priority of an application filed previously in a convention country.
(Deadline for claiming priority for a design application in Sweden is 6 months from the filing date of the priority application)
EUROPEAN UNION COMMUNITY DESIGN
Kindly refer our guide under the Community Design Registration.
TERM OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN PROTECTION
Protection to the design is initially given for 25 yrs, renewable consecutive 5 yr. Periods totalling to 25 yrs in all.
Protection to spare parts whose design relates to components which are used to repair a composite product and restore its original appearance is given for a period of 15 yrs.
Renewals & Maintenance:
Renewals have to be requested during the final 6 months of the registration validity period. If a renewal application is submitted after this period (but no longer than 6 months later), an additional fee is payable.
Our attorneys will assist you with renewals and maintenance of Industrial Design in Sweden.
BENEFITS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION
WHY PROTECT DESIGNS IN SWEDEN? Patent law deals in ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a company or organization as it deals with inventions that are not easily accessible by the general public. Designs along with Trademarks on the other hand, are the ‘visual medium’ which aid in brand projection, recognition, association and retention by existing and potential customers. To prevent rivals from copying industrial designs, it is therefore an important and strategic aspect in the protection of intellectual property rights. Therefore, as with all IP, it is better to begin protection of designs at the earliest before disclosure with the general public.
BENEFITS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION IN SWEDEN: Certain countries that follow cumulative protection of Industrial Designs by Copyright as well as Design laws have the ‘Unity of Art’ principle that needs to be followed meaning, entitlement to copyright for applied and other art work shall be determined through the same criteria. In today’s highly impulse driven and temperament market, industrial designs provide the requisite edge to push products into consumers’ psyche. Such is he craving for fashionable and well crafted products that looks can often be equally or more important that the products’ functionality itself.
Registration of Industrial Design Rights becomes a valuable asset which gives the following benefits:
- A substantial return on interest (ROI) as the popularity of the product is directly proportional to its reproduction and counterfeiting thus enabling swift legal action in preventing copycats and frauds thereby ensuring that the design is not diluted.
- Infringement of designs can help owners obtain damages and recover costs for the same.
- Registration of designs can help owners work on bettering their designs through Research and Development (R&D) on bringing out superior industrial designs thus making it harder to knock off or scale up manufacturing by infringers in order to copy the original designs.
- Registered designs can be sold, licensed, franchised which can all earn royalty. The same can also be used as a collateral to secure loans.
- Industrial Designs complement even strengthen Trademarks hence making brand attention, brand association and retention, brand recall and usage much easier and interesting.
Cost of Registration in SWEDEN
Please write a mail for the cost of registration of Industrial Designs Protection in Sweden and European Union to the mail address given below: