- SOUTH AFRICA
- BENIN – OAIP
- BURKINA FASO – OAPI
- CAMEROON – OAPI
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – OAPI
- CHAD – OAPI
- CONGO REPUBLIC – OAPI
- EQUATORIAL GUINEA – OAPI
- GABON – OAPI
- GUINEA – OAPI
- GUINEA BISSAU – OAPI
- IVORY COAST – OAPI
- MALI – OAPI
- MAURITANIA – OAPI
- NIGER – OAPI
- SENEGAL – OAPI
- TOGO – OAPI
- BOTSWANA – ARIPO
- ESWATINI – ARIPO
- GAMBIA- ARIPO
- GHANA – ARIPO
- KENYA – ARIPO
- LESOTHO – ARIPO
- LIBERIA – ARIPO
- MALAWI – ARIPO
- MOZAMBIQUE – ARIPO
- NAMIBIA – ARIPO
- RWANDA – ARIPO
- SIERRA LEONE – ARIPO
- SUDAN – ARIPO
- TANZANIA – ARIPO
- UGANDA – ARIPO
- ZAMBIA – ARIPO
- ZIMBABWE – ARIPO
COUNTRY : RUSSIAN FEDRATION
CAPITAL : MOSCOW
LANGUAGE : RUSSIAN
MEMBER : PARIS CONVENTION, WTO-TRIPS, BERNE CONVENTION, PCT, G–8, G–20, COUNCIL OF EUROPE, EURASIAN PATENT CONVENTION.
Patents & Design in Russia is managed by Federal Service for Intellectual Property (ROSPATENT)
APPLICANTS WHO MAY APPLY FOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGN PROTECTION:
Following can file Design Applications:
a). Author of the Design
b). Employer of the author if Design made during course of employment
c). Person contracting the author to make the design
d). Person to whom the author has assigned the design in writing.
Two or more persons owning interests in the design must apply jointly.
REQUISITES FOR FILING INDUSTRIAL DESIGN APPLICATIONS:
- Copy of the drawings;( six views such as front, rear, left side, right side, top plan and bottom plan views. And additional drawings such as perspective and cross-sectional views also may be submitted) – photographs in jpg format • The full name and address of each creator;
- The full name and address of each applicant;
- The name of article to which the design is applied;
- The filing date, application number and country of the priority application; and • The priority document
- Statement of Novelty in respect of the articles to which industrial design is applied to. However, not required while registering wallpaper, lace or textile articles.
- Full payment of fees.
Statement of Novelty: Novelty refers to originality, something new or unusual. In this context, if the Controller General so deems necessary, may direct the applicant to endorse the application and the representations with a brief statement of novelty that he claims over the designs so submitted for registration.
Prior Disclosure destroys novelty of the Design so extreme care has to be taken to maintain secrecy of the Design. However, in Russia the applicant can file the application within 12 months after disclosure which will still retain novelty.
TYPES OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN APPLICATIONS RUSSIA:
An ordinary application does not claim priority.
Convention application calming priority.
A convention application claims priority of an application filed previously in a convention country.
(Deadline for claiming priority for a design application in Russia is 6 months from the filing date of the priority application)
KINDS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS REGISTRABLE:
To come under the scope of registration, a Design should:
- Be new and / or original
- Not have been disclosed to the public anywhere by publication in tangible form or by use in any other way prior to the filing date or where applicable, the priority date of the application for registration to which a 12 month exception is provided.
- Be significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs.
- Not contain scandalous or obscene matter, or be contrary to public order or morality.
- Not be a mere mechanical contrivance.
- Be applicable to an article, should appeal to the eye.Original here means, originating from the author of such a design and includes those cases which though old in themselves , are new in their application as well.
Aspects of Designs registrable:
- Two Dimensional, Three Dimensional, General Appearance of a design.
- Decoration, Shapes, Lines, Colours, Contours.
- Combination of all of the above.
KINDS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS NOT REGISTRABLE:
The following kinds of Designs are not registrable:
- Designs which are not new or original
- Designs which have been disclosed to the public anywhere in the world by publication in a tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date.
- Designs which are not significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs or
- Comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter.
- No design that is contrary to public order or accepted principles of morality can be registered.
Search and Filing:
Conducting a search prior to filing the design application is always advised to rule out conflict with prior registered marks.
Our Attorneys will assist you in search, filing and protection of the Design application in Russia.
STEPS TO INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION:
- Finding out whether such a design has been registered previously.
- Preparing a representation of the design
- Identifying the class of design.
- Providing a statement of novelty.
- Including a disclaimer that the design has not been in the public domain at any point in time.
- Claiming a priority date if the design Is registered in other countries.
- Determining the fee to be paid.
- Ensuring all enclosures are attached. ix. Complying with objections if any.
- Providing full details pertaining to contacts and addresses.
Several designs may be combined in one multiple application as long as the products belong to the same class.
ParityPatent along with specialised Industrial Design Lawyers and Attorneys in Russia can assist you comprehensively with registration and protection of new Industrial Designs.
EXAMINATION PROCESS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS:
Designs are examined for formalities. Amendments if any to be carried out by the applicant are informed and applicant is to amend the same within a stipulated time failing which, the application is deemed abandoned.
Substantive examination regarding novelty, individual characteristics and originality follows formalities examination upon request by the applicant
PUBLICATION AND REGISTRATION OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS:
Designs meeting all the requirements are recorded and registered. Certificate of registration is issued to the applicant. Designs are then published.
TERM OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN PROTECTION:
Design registrations have are protected for a total duration of 25 years, with a basic term of 5 yrs., renewable 4 times.
Our attorneys will assist you with renewals and maintenance of Industrial Design in Russia.
BENEFITS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION:
WHY PROTECT DESIGNS IN RUSSIA? Patent law deals in ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a company or organization as it deals with inventions that are not easily accessible by the general public. Designs along with Trademarks on the other hand, are the ‘visual medium’ which aid in brand projection, recognition, association and retention by existing and potential customers. To prevent rivals from copying industrial designs, it is therefore an important and strategic aspect in the protection of intellectual property rights. Therefore, as with all IP, it is better to begin protection of designs at the earliest before disclosure with the general public.
BENEFITS OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION IN RUSSIA: Certain countries that follow cumulative protection of Industrial Designs by Copyright as well as Design laws have the ‘Unity of Art’ principle that needs to be followed meaning, entitlement to copyright for applied and other art work shall be determined through the same criteria. In today’s highly impulse driven and temperament market, industrial designs provide the requisite edge to push products into consumers’ psyche. Such is he craving for fashionable and well crafted products that looks can often be equally or more important that the products’ functionality itself.
Registration of Industrial Design Rights becomes a valuable asset which gives the following benefits:
- A substantial return on interest (ROI) as the popularity of the product is directly proportional to its reproduction and counterfeiting thus enabling swift legal action in preventing copycats and frauds thereby ensuring that the design is not diluted.
- Infringement of designs can help owners obtain damages and recover costs for the same.
- Registration of designs can help owners work on bettering their designs through Research and Development (R&D) on bringing out superior industrial designs thus making it harder to knock off or scale up manufacturing by infringers in order to copy the original designs.
- Registered designs can be sold, licensed, franchised which can all earn royalty. The same can also be used as a collateral to secure loans.
- Industrial Designs complement even strengthen Trademarks hence making brand attention, brand association and retention, brand recall and usage much easier and interesting.