COUNTRY : REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
CAPITAL : PRETORIA
LANGUAGE : ENGLISH
International Treaties to which South Africa is signatory
• Paris Convention for the protection of Industrial Property.
• Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property – TRIPS.
• Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV):
Plant Breeders Rights in South Africa are protected by: Plant Breeders Rights Act 1997.
The Act protects New Plant Varieties which are:
- Designated by proper denominations
New Varieties designated by means of a denomination proposed by the applicant and approved by the Registrar.
Application made for protection under the Act to contain the following requisites:
• Prescribed application fee along with documents
• An address for service within South Africa
• Priority details if any
• Denomination of the proposed variety
Owners of the registered plant variety may undertake: