COUNTRY : SULTNATE OF OMAN
CAPITAL : MUSCAT
LANGUAGE : ARABIC
Plant Variety Protection Office in Oman is managed by Ministry of Agriculture.
· • Paris Convention for the protection of Industrial Property.
• Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights –TRIPS.
• Gulf Co-operation Council – G.C.C.
Plant Breeders Rights in Oman are protected by:
Law on the protection of New Plant Varieties.
The Act protects New Plant Varieties which are:
- Designated by proper denominations
The Act protects the following Plant Varieties:
. Essentially Derived Varieties
. Transgenic Varieties
. Applied Variety indicating it’s type and characteristics
. Applied Variety to be not similar to another variety applied for registration or awarded registration certificate.
. Applied Variety to not differ from it’s registered name in another country
. Applied Variety to not be in contravention with public order and Shari’a Laws.
The Act does not protect new varieties if the denomination given to such variety which:
i. Expressed solely in numbers
ii. Identical with or similar to the denomination of another plant variety within the same species or closely related species
iii. Likely to cause confusion and false identification concerning the characteristics of the applied plant variety and the breeder of the variety
iv. Contrary to and conflicting with public order and customs
- Persons claiming to be Breeders of the variety
- Successors in title
- Plant Variety Protection consultants
Application made for protection under the Act to contain the following requisites:
· The name of the applicant, the applicant’s permanent and temporary residences, or in the case of a juristic person or organization, its name, its office location, place of business, the name of its legal representative, manager and his or her permanent and temporary residences;
· The botanical name of the plant variety,
· The denomination of the plant variety,
· The source of the plant variety,
· The characteristics of the plant variety,
· The process of breeding and discovery of the plant variety,
· Application to be written in Chinese
- Upon receipt of the application, it is formally examined to confirm compliance with all the requisites. The applicant is directed to comply with deficiencies if any found within the prescribed time period, else, application is deemed withdrawn.
- Application is then subjected to substantive examination. .
- Post substantive examination, the authorities to accept the plant variety protection application and grant registration and protection
Owners of the registered plant variety may:
· Conduct production and propagation of the plant variety
· Process the plant variety for the purposes of propagation
· Advertise the plant variety for sale
· Sell, Market and Trade the plant variety
· Export and Import the plant variety
· Stock the plant variety to carry out all of the above acts
Duration of Registration:
25 years from the date of grant of registration – trees and vines.
20 years from the date of grant of registration – all other varieties.
Authorities may issue compulsory licenses in the following circumstances:
· To carry out some or all of the powers awarded to the breeders rights holders
· Compulsory License to be executed as per specifications mentioned therein
· Party awarded with Compulsory License, not to assign or approve entirely or partially to others the utilisation of breeders rights
· Compulsory License to be cancelled upon elimination of the reason for its issuance