COUNTRY : REPUBLIC OF PARAGUAY
CAPITAL : ASUNCION
LANGUAGE : SPANISH
For an Invention to be patentable, it should contain the following:
(i). Novelty: An invention is considered new & novel it is not predictable owing to prior publication, prior use or prior public knowledge.
(ii). Inventive Step: Apart from the invention not being obvious to a person skilled in the art, inventive step would be a feature of an invention that involves either:
• A technical advancement compared to the existing knowledge
• Having economic significance or,
(iii). Industrial Application: An invention must be capable of industrial application, which means, the invention should be capable of being made or used in an industry.
• Inventions which are frivolous, contrary to well established natural laws.
• Inventions primarily intended to be against public order and morality such as equipment to produce counterfeit currency.
(i). Names of the applicants.
(ii). Addresses of the applicants.
(iii). Names of the inventors.
(iv). Addresses of the inventors.
(v). Priority data.
(vi). Complete specification in Spanish.
(vii). Set of claims.
(viii). Drawings if any.
(x). Priority documents.
(xi). Proof of right in a convention application.
• Upon receipt of the patent application it is examined for formalities compliances and fulfilment of all requisites.
TERM AND KINDS OF PATENTS GRANTED IN PARAGUAY:
At any time after the expiry of 3 years from the grant of a patent or 4 years from the date of patent application interested parties may apply for grant of compulsory licenses on the following grounds:
(i). When reasonable requirements of the public with respect to the patented invention have not been satisfied.
(ii). When patented invention is not available to the public at reasonable and affordable prices.
(iii). When patented invention is not worked on the territory of Paraguay.