COUNTRY : UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
CAPITAL : ABU DHABI
LANGUAGE : ARABIC
MEMBER : PARIS CONVENTION, WIPO, BERNE CONVENTION, WTO
COOPERATION COUNCIL OF THE ARAB STATES OF THE GULF
Following can file Design Applications:
a). Author of the Design
b). Employer of the author if Design made during course of employment
c). Person contracting the author to make the design
d). Person to whom the author has assigned the design in writing.
2 or more persons owning interests in the design must apply jointly.
• Copy of the drawings;( six views such as front, rear, left side, right side, top plan and bottom plan views. And additional drawings such as perspective and cross-sectional views also may be submitted) - photographs in jpg format
• The full name and address of each creator;
• The full name and address of each applicant;
• The name of article to which the design is applied;
• The filing date, application number and country of the priority application; and
• The priority document
• Statement of Novelty in respect of the articles to which industrial design is applied to. However, not required while registering wallpaper, lace or textile articles.
• Full payment of fees.
1. A Power of Attorney, duly legalized up to the U.A.E. Consulate.
2. A Deed of Assignment from the designer duly legalized up to the U.A.E Consulate.
3. An Extract from applicant's, entry on Commercial Register, if applicant is a corporate body, also legalized up to the U.A.E. Consulate.
4. A certified copy of the priority document in case of claiming priority.
5. Four representations of the design
6. A brief description of the design
An ordinary application does not claim priority.
Convention application calming priority .
A convention application claims priority of an application filed previously in a convention country. (Deadline for claiming priority for a design application in United Arab Emirates is 6 months from the filing date of the priority application)
To come under the scope of registration, a Design should:
i. Be new and / or original
ii. Not have been disclosed to the public anywhere by publication in tangible form or by use in any other way prior to the filing date or where applicable, the priority date of the application for registration to which a 12 month exception is provided.
iii. Be significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs.
iv. Not contain scandalous or obscene matter, or be contrary to public order or morality.
v. Not be a mere mechanical contrivance.
vi. Be applicable to an article, should appeal to the eye.
• A drawing or a model contrary to public order or morality.
• A drawing or a model that relates to a computer program.
• A drawing or a model whose characteristics are solely dictated by technical function of the product to which it relates.
• A product that needs to be combined with another product, so that each can perform its function.
• Designs which have been disclosed to the public anywhere in the world by publication in a tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date. However, a 12 months exception is given to this rule.
• Designs which are not significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs or
• Comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter.
Steps to Registration:
i. Finding out whether such a design has been registered previously.
ii. Preparing a representation of the design
iii. Identifying the class of design.
iv. Providing a statement of novelty.
v. Including a disclaimer that the design has not been in the public domain at any point in time.
vi. Claiming a priority date if the design Is registered in other countries.
vii. Determining the fee to be paid.
viii. Ensuring all enclosures are attached.
ix. Complying with objections if any.
x. Providing full details pertaining to contacts and addresses.
Several designs (20 per application) may be combined in one multiple application as long as the products belong to the same class.
Upon receipt of the design application, it is numbered and dated and is given a formalities examination. Thereafter a deed of protection shall be issued to the industrial drawing/design.
Upon completion of the formalities examination the design is published in the Intellectual Property Circular.
Post publication, interested 3rd parties may oppose the registration of the design within 60 days from the date of publication.
In the event there are no oppositions, the design is Registered and a Certificate of Registration issued.
Protection to the design is provided for 10 yrs.
Renewals & Maintenance:
Renewals have to be requested during the final 6 months of the registration validity period.
Our attorneys will assist you with renewals and maintenance.
WHY PROTECT DESIGNS IN UNITED ARAB EMIRATES ? Patent law deals in ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a company or organization as it deals with inventions that are not easily accessible by the general public. Designs along with Trademarks on the other hand, are the ‘visual medium’ which aid in brand projection, recognition, association and retention by existing and potential customers. To prevent rivals from copying industrial designs, it is therefore an important and strategic aspect in the protection of intellectual property rights. Therefore, as with all IP, it is better to begin protection of designs at the earliest before disclosure with the general public.