COUNTRY : KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA
CAPITAL : RIYADH
LANGUAGE : ARABIC
MEMBER : WIPO, WTO, BERNE CONVENTION, PARIS CONVENTION
Following can file Design Applications:
• Copy of the drawings;( six views such as front, rear, left side, right side, top plan and bottom plan views. And additional drawings such as perspective and cross-sectional views also may be submitted) - photographs in jpg format
• The full name and address of each creator;
• The full name and address of each applicant;
• The name of article to which the design is applied;
• The filing date, application number and country of the priority application; and
• The priority document
• Statement of Novelty in respect of the articles to which industrial design is applied to. However, not required while registering wallpaper, lace or textile articles.
• Full payment of fees.
Statement of Novelty: Novelty refers to originality, something new or unusual. In this context, if the Patent Office so deems necessary, may direct the applicant to endorse the application and the representations with a brief statement of novelty that he claims over the designs so submitted for registration.
Prior Disclosure destroys novelty of the Design so extreme care has to be taken to maintain secrecy of the Design. However, disclosure during the priority period of 6 months will protect novelty.
An ordinary application does not claim priority.
To come under the scope of registration, a Design should:
• A drawing or a model contrary to public order or morality.
• A drawing or a model that relates to a computer program.
• A drawing or a model whose characteristics are solely dictated by technical function of the product to which it relates.
• A product that needs to be combined with another product, so that each can perform its function.
• Designs which have been disclosed to the public anywhere in the world by publication in a tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date. However, a 12 months exception is given to this rule.
• Designs which are not significantly distinguishable from known designs or combination of known designs or
• Comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter.
• Designs contravening Islamic Law.
Steps to Registration:
Upon receipt of the design application, it is numbered and dated and is given a formalities examination.
Upon completion of the formalities examination the design is published in the Gazette.
Protection to the design is provided for 10 yrs.
Renewals & Maintenance:
Renewals have to be requested during the final 6 months of the registration validity period.
Our attorneys will assist you with renewals and maintenance.
WHY PROTECT DESIGNS IN SAUDI ARABIA? Patent law deals in ‘behind the scenes’ aspects of a company or organization as it deals with inventions that are not easily accessible by the general public. Designs along with Trademarks on the other hand, are the ‘visual medium’ which aid in brand projection, recognition, association and retention by existing and potential customers. To prevent rivals from copying industrial designs, it is therefore an important and strategic aspect in the protection of intellectual property rights. Therefore, as with all IP, it is better to begin protection of designs at the earliest before disclosure with the general public.