COUNTRY : REPUBLIC OF NIGER
The African Intellectual Property Organisation known commonly by it’s French Acronym (OAPI) was established through the Bangui Agreement at the Republic of Central Africa and is head quartered at Yaounde, Cameroon.
OAPI DESIGN REGISTRATION
Kindly refer our guide under the OAPI Design Registration.
Kindly refer our guide under the Hague system.
Legal questions regarding infringement and IP matters requiring litigation are to be settled by domestic courts of each state.Courts of each member state competent to rule on IP, wherein definitive rulings on validity of IP rights in one member stae considered final in others as well, except rulings based on law and order or morality.
Member nations recognise provisions entrenched in the Bangui Agreement and its annexes as their national law. Hence, OAPI allows applicants to receive Patent & Design protection in all of the 16 jurisdictions through a single application and registration. Therefore, Registration in individual member nations, is no longer possible.
• Designs confer on its holders or successors an exclusive right to work the Design.
• Owner may authorise such uses of the patent through a contractual agreement with interested parties as to import, rent out, deliver or sell product resulting from Design registration.
• Owner may authorise the working of the Design either by a manufacturer or by an importer and also:
- assign, lease or licence the patent.
- entitled to take legal action against infringers.
- entitled to retain moral right over the invention as ‘the author of the invention’.
• Design can be pledged for which it has to be registered in the patent register to become effective.