COUNTRY : KINGDOM OF LESOTHO
CAPITAL : MASERU
LANGUAGE : ENGLISH
ARIPO is a comity of 18 Former English Colonies which are also English speaking Countries. Member Countries are: BOTSWANA, GAMBIA, GHANA, KENYA, LESOTHO, LIBERIA, MALAWI, MOZAMBIQUE, NAMIBIA, RWANDA, SIERRA LEONE, SOMALIA, SUDAN, SWAZILAND, TANZANIA, UGANDA, ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE.
African Regional Intellectual Property Organisation known more commonly by its acronym (ARIPO) was established through the Lusaka Agreement and is headquartered at Harare Zimbabwe.
Inventions pertaining to the following:
• Discoveries, Scientific Theories & Mathematical methods.
• Aesthetic creations.
• Substances already existing in nature and nuclear materials.
• Schemes, Rules, Methods for performing mental acts, playing games, doing business as well as Presentation of Information.
• Programmes for Computers.
• Inventions contrary to public order & morals.
• Methods of treatment by surgery or therapy on humans and animals.
• Prejudicial to the Interest or Security of the Nation.
• Patents confer to its holders or his successors an exclusive right to work the invention.
• Patentee may authorise such uses of the patent through a contractual agreement with interested parties as to import, rent out, deliver or sell the product patent .
• He may authorise the working of the patent either by a manufacturer or by an importer.
• Patentee may even assign, lease or licence the patent.
• He is entitled to take legal action against infringers.
• He is entitled to retain moral right over the invention as ‘the author of the invention’.
• The patent can be pledged for which it has to be registered in the patent register to become effective.
BENIFIT RIGHTS OF THE DESIGN OWNER: